Week 7

Readings:

Congressman John Lewis' Artistic Side

https://craftsmanship.net/blog/congressman-john-lewis-artistic-side/?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=WINTER2021_06_Lewis

Lewis had a long record on civil rights. Grew up in poverty and became a disciple of Martin Luther King Jr. Chair of the Student Nonviolent Coordinating Committee (SNCC) and an organizer of the 1960s most high profile marches fro voting rights and equality. Collected paintings and other artwork from black artists. Amongst his activism Lewis would take art appreciation classes with painter and educator Aaron Douglass. It changed his life. Lewis and Keith Washington had a friendship revolving around art. They would attend auctions and give each other art or attend an art appreciation class. 


Atlanta creates the nation's largest free food forest with hopes of addressing food insecurity

https://www.cnn.com/2021/02/22/us/atlanta-free-food-forest-trnd/index.html

In Atlanta, farm land was rezoned and going to become townhouses but that never happened so the Conservation fund bought it in 2016. The fund then developed a project to create the nations largest free food forest. Mission to bring healthy food to half a mile of 85% of Atlantas 500,000 residents by 2022. 70 food forests in the country. 1,000 volunteers and neighbors helped to plant water and maintain the Atlanta food forest when it first began. Now about 50 are there every day.


Project Idea:

Gender inequality is my focus currently, since Covid has really impacted women hard. With the shutdowns across the nation and children not being able to go to school a lot of women (mothers) have been forced to stay home to care and educate their children, which has set back our progress as a country to gender equality as they have to leave the workforce to care for family.  We were making progress closing the gender pay gap, but no where near where it is equal. Not only is it the issue of the gender pay gap but the opportunities are less for women versus men. Women are promoted less often than men and many women struggle to ask for a higher pay as it is viewed as being greedy or desperate. 
Project Idea:
With all this in mind for my project I would like it to be a series with the slogan "The time has come." As a variety of people use social media I think creating this series as social media posts would be my best route. The posts could always be laid out on posters and stickers if I were to further it in the future. I want my design to be able to be applied on multiple medias. My three posts would say:
1. The time has come...to get rid of the gender pay gap
2. The time has come...to have equal career opportunities for women and men 
3. The time has come...to not force the choice between motherhood and career advancement
Also, I found this link that has everything I speak about that I am thinking of including on the posters. https://inequality.org/facts/gender-inequality/

Brainstorming/Thumbnails:

I have been brainstorming through pinterest and research. Here is my pinterest link https://pin.it/2oWJmQl

For this series I was thinking of doing it structured as an Instagram post where the title screen (or first one seen) is "the time has come" then thee rest could be individual posts with gifs for each or text and illustration. I do not want it too complex, just straight to the point. 

Here is the link I will include either on the front page or each screen https://inequality.org/facts/gender-inequality/



 

Comments